[ale] Newbie and Dual install

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jan 11 16:57:01 EST 2005

ringo wrote:
> I'm brand new to Linux but I'm taking a course at Ga. Tech that requires
> I use the software from http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/index.html
> which only runs on Linux. I have a Compaq laptop with a Pentium running
> at 475Mhz with 192MB of Ram and 2 gig free hard drive space. It
> currently has windows 98 on it and I would like to keep it because some
> of my compilers and programs require it.
> Is this enough room to install Linux?

It's enough, but you won't have much space left and you not likely to be
able load a full install, but that should be sufficient to accomplish
what you want.

> Which version do you recommend?

On this list, you will find that is a religious issue.  I would
recommend SuSE as the one I find to be the most polished and easiest to
install.  After that I'd look at Mandrake, Red Hat, Debian, in that
order.  I've found SuSE and Mandrake to do a pretty much flawless dual
boot with an existing win98.

> How hard is it to install it and keep the windows?

Not bad.  Most of the more polished versions of Linux will protect your
existing windows env.  Just be sure that you read all the messages as
all the major distros will warn you if they intend to blow away an
existing partition.  You may need to enter expert mode on some, although
I don't recall at this time.

> Is there a site that will walk me though the installation?

When do you need it done by?  There are a number of good sites out there
for such things, google is your friend.  I don't have any links off hand.

You might consider bringing your box to one of the ALE meetings and
getting some assistance.

Regardless of your choices, backup your critical data on your windows
partition before beginning.

--
Until later, Geoffrey