[ale] Linux router help needed......again

Scott A. Martin scottm at noesisopen.com
Tue Jan 11 11:49:43 EST 2005

Jim,

Add a line with the IP address of the Linux box to your dhcpd.conf
within the subnet declaration block:

option routers 192.168.7.xx;

I notice someone else suggested same but with the word "router" vs. the
plural "routers".  The man page for dhcpd.conf shows it plural; I have
no idea if it matters.

Scott

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 11:18 -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:49:54AM -0500, Christopher Coleman wrote:
> > First thought: use ipconfig on the Windows box and check the settings
> > assigned by the DHCP server. Make sure you have the correct subnet mask
> > and default gateway settings assigned.
> >

> > Jim Seymour wrote:
> > >Hi All,
> > >
> > >General background only to shorten email. Set up a Debian Sarge box as
> > >router for a WinXP box using dhcp3 and ipmasq for nat. Result: WinXp box
> > >gets ip address and indicates it is connected to lan but cannot access
> > >the internet. I have read every man I can find and have been unable to
> > >get anywhere for days now :-( Any help or a very complete read somewhere
> > >appreciated. Looking at the firewall it does not show any requests from
> > >it being dropped.
> > >

> Thanks Chris,
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix	:
> IP Address			:192.168.7.20
> Subnet Mask			:255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway			:
>
> I looked at my dhcpd.conf file and couldn't see any reference to setting
> the gateway address in the examples. Could the problem be in another
> place?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Seymour

Scott A. Martin <scottm at noesisopen.com>