[ale] apt-get ques for Debian users

Jay Loden jloden at toughguy.net
Fri Jan 7 14:38:24 EST 2005

I run Debian (Mepis install, basically Debian Testing/Unstable) on my laptop,
and I have been using apt-get quite happily for about a month or two now.
However, I recently had a huge number of packages upgrade after an apt-get
upgrade (I'm assuming because of the new Debian 3.0r4), and now I have a
whole big list of "packages kept back" when I do apt-get upgrade.

What does this mean, and why are they being held back?  They look to be mostly
updated KDE packages.  Should I be doing apt-get dist-upgrade ?  Are they
being held back due to possible conflicts?

-Jay