[ale] NW ALE meeting

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 6 14:38:19 EST 2005

David S. Jackson wrote:

> Uh, no version 2.0 added here.  I just haven't been too chatty is
> all.  So, don't count me out too far.  But if someone else would like
> to run with this, I won't feel mistreated or anything.

Where'd I get that bad info?  Sorry about starting the rumor!

> Having said that, I always did want another crack at the
> presentation, because last time, I really was expecting a lot more
> veteran shell scripters and was unprepared to cover as many basics as
> we covered that night (I sorta got bogged down).

I'd be happy to have you present again.

> The hard part about a bash presentation is that there's usually quite
> a spread of experience levels.  Finding a way to satisfy everyone at
> least a little bit withtout pissing off or nauseating anyone is the
> trick.

What I'm hoping for is a presentation geared towards someone who's new
to Linux/UNIX.  Say a developer who's been writing Java on a Windows
platform.  I mean a complete shell newbie.

Don't take that to mean you can re-present your presentation that was
certainly meant for more experienced scripters, but I was trying to
address some of the requests from KSU.

> PPS. Another idea I've been itching to talk about is the basics of
> photography.  I'm pretty new myself, but I've been reading up on
> basics like depth of field, composition, film speed, and feel I have
> a basic understanding of what the "point and shoot" settings on
> digital and film cameras actually accomplish.  Since most everyone in
> the group is pretty geeky, understanding how a camera actually works
> (either digital or film) might be of interest.  Also, editing and
> organizing your collection could be good topics.

Oooh, put something together and we can have a presentation on that as
well. :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey