[ale] Crossover cable or CAT 5e question

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Thu Jan 6 13:41:24 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:35:56AM -0500, Christopher Coleman wrote:
> Jim Seymour wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I am setting my Linux box up as a router for a dsl connection. At
> >present a Windows XP box is all that will be connected to it. I have not
> >been able to locate a definite answer as to whether I have to use a
> >crossover cable to connect them or if I can use regular CAT 5e. At
> >present the windows box says the cable is disconnected (not true). I
> >just wanted some feedback before I plopped down the money for a
> >crossover. This is my very first venture down the path of networking.
>
> If your plan is to directly connect the XP system to the router without
> a hub or switch, then you need a crossover cable.

Thanks Folks,

Just wanted to make sure before wasting $$$.

OT: I received some cool Linux stuff for Christmas.

A mug from Technology Associates that has on one side "Tired of being
Microsoft's B@#$%" and the company info on the other.

Also a t-shirt with "Total World Domination" on the front and our
favorite penguin on the back.

Later,

Jim Seymour