[ale] (no subject)

fletch at phydeaux.org fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Jan 5 20:01:15 EST 2005

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
writes:

[...]

    Christopher> My problem with perl is that the source program can
    Christopher> be modified to skip those checks.  One obvious
    Christopher> solution would be to modify the perl binary itself so
    Christopher> that those pieces of code we wrote could not be ran
    Christopher> without our perl binary but hell that is against the
    Christopher> perl license and still the perl program can be
    Christopher> modified.  How would one go about keeping someone
    Christopher> from reading a perl program and/or modifing it?

Perl is licensed under both the GPL and the Artistic license, the
latter says basically "do as you want so long as you make it clear
you've modified things and provide the originals".  See sections 3
(items b & c) and 4 (items a & c) of 'perldoc perlartistic'.

fletch at phydeaux.org|  Vincent, you should cease askin'          \ o.O'