[ale] Distro Reply

james at sumners.ath.cx james at sumners.ath.cx
Wed Jan 5 13:22:00 EST 2005

Which is available on the CD. But, that doesn't matter when it comes to
Debian Woody as you probably well know. No boot flavor on the shipping
CDs contains everything necessary to load Debian on those terribly
annoying, in my opinion, POS Dells. In order to load Debian on a Dell
server you either have to a) track down a CD someone else has built for
the machine or b) build your own install CD. Has the kept me from
running Debian on several Dell servers? No. Does Debian run like a champ
and outperform even netbsd on those boxes? Yes.

A standard, download it from the front page, Debian CD loads just fine
on my HP box though. And it is MUCH more powerful than any Dell server I
have used ;)

As for a production machine that uses prism54... The only one I know of
is the router I just built last month. It is running Debian Woody with
three backports from backports.org.

Debian is stable. You know what you are getting with Debian. I don't see
why anyone would use something else on a machine that needs to be
reliable.

--
James Sumners
http://ug.dyndns.org/~jsumners/

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."

CH:D 59