[ale] Distro Reply

Raylynn Knight audilover at speedfactory.net
Wed Jan 5 12:20:23 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 12:08 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> James Sumners wrote:
> > I wanted to stay out of this conversation, we had it not more than
> > two weeks ago, but I am evidently weak. I still don't understand why
> > you are hung up on the stable branch defaulting to 2.2. Do you not
> > understand what Debian is about and how it achieves its goals?
>
> Yes I do.  THe whole thread was started regarding choosing a distro for
> an production environment.  I can't see putting something into such an
> environment with a kernel that is that old.

Trying again here.  The current stable Debian release contains both a
2.2 and a 2.4 kernel.  The default is 2.2 because at the time of
original release it was the most stable kernel.

> > By the way, your statement below applies to Debian as well.
>
> Meaning the will have a release early this year with a 2.6 kernel?

Debian sarge has support for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernel releases.  The
default will vary by hardware architecture.  I believe the default for
x86 is still 2.4 because 2.6 lacks support for some older hardware.

--
Raylynn Knight <audilover at speedfactory.net>