[ale] Distro Reply

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 19:19:37 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 18:26 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:

> You're kidding right?  I could get a box running with a 1. kernel.

This has now become a "my <insert-favorite-body-part> is bigger than
yours" conversation.  Now if someone would just mention hitler we can
put this thing to rest.

> I'm not going to regurgitate the changelogs and readme files for the
> kernels.  There have been all kinds of changes between 2.2 and 2.6,
> including optimizations and yes, stability issues that will never find
> their way into 2.2.
>
> Just one simple example is that the 2.6 kernel supports prism54
> wireless, prior to 2.6, you'd have to patch and recompile a new kernel.

Fine.  Go with a newer kernel.  Again, you are bitching about Debian Stable
not supporting everything you want, yet you are hesitant to move on to
something that does. <sigh>

-Jim P.