[ale] Distro Reply

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Jan 3 21:46:48 EST 2005

I guess what bothers me about the attitude described here (not saying
that Jerald holds it) is that I had thought that part of the whole point
of using Linux and FOSS in general is that you *weren't* dependent on a
single source or *any* source of conditional support - the idea being
that you as an IT implementor/integrator had inviolate say over how your
software behaved.  This "viable, supported alternative" talk sounds like
nothing so much as wanting the ball and chain back.

I *know* what it's like to be stuck in a certain kind of closed-source
hell where you can't get your app fixed or your peripheral to behave
properly for love *or* money, and I also know what it's like for paid
support reps to turn their nose up at you because the way in which you
needed to adapt their product to your needs was, in their eyes,
"unsupported."  There's nothing about the OS in question being Linux
that keeps implementors out of that wasteland.

Jeff