[ale] Qemu experiences (or.....wow!)

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Sun Feb 27 23:13:41 EST 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:23:39 -0500 (EST)
"John Wells" <jb at sourceillustrated.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Finally have a moment to catch my breath and provide further
> information on my experience with qemu
> (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/).
>
> The subject line really says it all...wow!  After compiling the cvs
> version and installing the accelerator module, things have worked
> brilliantly.  So far, I've installed Windows XP and FreeBSD.  Both
> installs went more or less flawlessly...very nice.
>
> Performance is very good with the accelerator module...very, very
> usable. It's just a tad slower than Win4Lin 5, although likely this
> is due to WinXP vs. Win98 more than anything else.  It's definitely
> on par with VMWare/WinXP.
>
> I'd recommend you give it a shot if you're interested in having a free
> alternative to VMWare.
>
> As a side note, the new Win4Lin Pro product that adds Windows XP
> support is actually built on top of Qemu.
>
> Have fun. Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> John

I just installed this and want to give it a whirl.  Does it work like
VMWare in that I can install Win2000 virtually and run from this
machine?  If so, just a pointer or two on starting this up.

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Trey

For some reason, this fortune reminds everyone of Marvin Zelkowitz.

FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE i386 i386 GENERIC
11:08PM  up 3 days,  4:32, 0 users, load averages: 0.15, 0.21, 0.32