[ale] Any Perl Gurus Out There?

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Feb 24 08:36:38 EST 2005

    Jonathan> Anyone know the proper way to handle the death of all
    Jonathan> these child processes?  If I run a 'ps -aef' on the box
    Jonathan> while the script is running, I see dozens of '<defunct>'
    Jonathan> processes.

If you're doing forks you need to make sure you've got a SIGCHLD
handler setup to wait for them all.  The canonical example's in
perldoc perlipc; just search for "sub REAPER".  Otherwise those defunc
processes will hang around until your process exits and they get
reparented to init (which will then reap them).

fletch at phydeaux.org|  Vincent, you should cease askin'          \ o.O'