[ale] Any Perl Gurus Out There?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Feb 24 08:24:31 EST 2005

My question is "why spawn a child process at all?" A loop with an if
branch should keep it all local without the process overhead of spawning
children.

For that matter, tee the logfile writer to also dump to a local socket.
Have the perl process accept input from the socket and process it that
way.

If the log writer is not readily ammenable to a tee, use
tail -f <logfile> | socket

I guess it really matters most on the granularity of the timing you need
on the reporting.