[ale] Any Perl Gurus Out There?

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at oit.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 24 06:49:56 EST 2005

I've written a little Perl script to monitor a log file and alert (in
this case, insert the flagged data into a DB) on a certain pattern.  The
parent process sits in an infinite loop watching the file, and whenever
the pattern is matched, a child process is forked to do the DB
insertion.  Anyone know the proper way to handle the death of all these
child processes?  If I run a 'ps -aef' on the box while the script is
running, I see dozens of '<defunct>' processes.

TIA

Jonathan Glass