[ale] OT:Apple XServe and non-Apple Storage Arrays

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 01:00:43 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:40:34 -0500, Michael Still <stillwaxin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since the Xserve RAIDs are fibre channel I would think any fibre
> channel array would work as long as you stick in a supported FC HBA.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for. I just don't want to find out the
hard way that the rebranded LSI card that OS X supports has some kind
of strange (fruity) firmware that vomits when it tastes something
other than an apple. Since you can easily hook up your favorite Intel
boxen to the XServe RAID, one would think that it would have to be a
two way street, but you can never tell with storage gear nowadays. I
really wish iSCSI would supplant FC so this could all be easier to
manage.

--
Jonathan "The SANman is the Sandman's first cousin, and he brings
nightmares...not dreams." Rickman