[ale] AOL email

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Feb 22 11:25:28 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 10:58 -0500, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 10:48 -0500, Michael Trausch wrote:
> >
> > They also refuse to take mail from arbitrary sites now, that they
> > deem "not professionally owned".  They also drop mail that appears
> > to contain anything "bad" - their spam filter isn't very smart.
>
> I provide systems that deliver almost 4000 emails a day to AOL users.
> Some of the mailinglists are technical in nature, some emails even go to
> AOL employees.  Some of the mailinglists are health related and can be
> quite graphic in content (although still valid emails) but I've seen no
> recent trouble in the delivery cycle.

I've been having lots of blocked attachments. Anything with .doc gets
dropped. I have verified that it is not on my client's end by the
MailScanner headers. His systems put in his domain name in the headers.
The blocking domain does not. The bounces seem to occur both ways, to
AOL and from AOL.

These are not mailing lists, however. We do have a small mailing list
and all of those get through OK from outside to AOL sunscribers.