[ale] Modem problem (w/ Vonage)

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Feb 21 20:15:58 EST 2005

George, I'm not saying this is THE solution but in the list of things to
try, you might want to consider swapping out the modem.

Reason I say this is that I was using a no-name modem to fax out with
last year.  My primary use for this was to send my biweekly invoices to
my primary consulting customer.  I got a call from them one day about a
problem with an invoice and after a lot of head-scratching I was able to
determine that a whole section of vertical page space was simply missing
after transmission - just enough to neatly delete one line from the
invoice.  I drove over to Goodwill and picked up a 3com for ~$5 and
faxing was fine after that.

My point is that your software may expect a modem action or reaction
that it's not quite getting due to a buggy modem - be it yours or the
developers'.

Jeff