[ale] Once again, how about a virus scanner on the mailing list server?

Jim Patterson unixdude at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 12:22:05 EST 2005

Ummm,  Actually, if you read the message that came from postman
carefully, yo will see that the failed message did NOT come from
James, it is being included as a SAMPLE, so that James can
diagnose any problems on his side.  I (and presumably, every other
gmail user) got a similar message from postman because of the
virus traffic to the list.  I have quoted the relevant parts below.

Jim Patterson.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:58:38 -0500, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
...snip...
> As for the long list of QMail failed delivery attempts, it looks like
> you sent an email to ALE and Qmail tried to notify you that it had lots
> of trouble delivering your ALE email to many ALE members due to the
> email containing a virus.
>
> Now, what I want to know is this:  Why does it appear, based on the
> email that you just sent, that you are distributing the CFowler viruses?
>
> -Jim P.
>
> On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 20:16 -0500, James Sumners wrote:
...snip...
> > -- Begin "bounce check" email ---
> > This is a probe message.  You can ignore this message.
> >
> > The Ale mailing list has received a number of bounces from you,
> > indicating that there may be a problem delivering messages to
> > james.sumners at gmail.com. A bounce sample is attached below.  Please

See Right Here.  The bounces are "from you" and the delivery is "to
james.sumners at gmail.com".  A "sample is attached below".

> > examine this message to make sure there are no problems with your
> > email address.  You may want to check with your mail administrator for
> > more help.
...snip...