[ale] Once again, how about a virus scanner on the mailing list server?

ChangingLINKS.com groups at ChangingLINKS.com
Sat Feb 19 10:58:46 EST 2005

On Saturday February 19 2005 09:09, James Sumners wrote:
> If emails were innoculated before they are put in the ale at ale.org
> outgoing queue then such a thing would not occur.

We want it to occur.

This is the only mailing list that I have ever been on that forwards viruses
and spam. The irony is that there is more technical talent (and help) on this
list than most (if not all) of the others.

However, by forwarding viruses we cement our "anti-Microsoft" position, and by
forwarding spam we highlight an area that members should secure on the client
side. We have reached a point where even the "whitelist only solution" fails.
<Presiding attitude>
"If you can't secure your local computer, you are on the wrong list! -
"You signed up for the list, deal with it!" It's Zen: "The true path to
security is insecurity." It's unifying: "Nobody walks here, sir!" (And, my
all time favorite:) "The solutions you propose are a waste of time."
</Presiding attitude>

    "What it is"
It is not a matter of
the time it takes to change the code,
the overwhelming skill of spammers,
or the inability of the administrators.

Purely, it is a desire to be different.

"We" chose the path less traveled . . .

. . . . and *that* made all the difference!
--
Wishing you Happiness, Joy, and Laughter,
Drew Brown