[ale] [OT] I just bought an iBook, what now

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Feb 17 22:30:41 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Nathan J. Underwood wrote:

> Well, we had an issue come up that required a Mac to test, which
> prompted the purchase of an iBook from Micro Center (spur of the moment
> thing, but the experience was pleasant).  At any rate, it's ours now,
> and I've never used one before (well, that's untrue, but the last Apple
> that I tinkered with was an Apple ][, it's been a while).  After
> tinkering with it for most of the day, I've gotta say I really like it,
> I just don't know what to *do* with it.  I've got FireFox and
> Thunderbird installed (that was easy), and I have 2 user accounts setup
> on it.  My question is, what now?  Are there any 'standard apps' that
> you guys can suggest?  Anything I need to watch out for?

I seem to recall that AbiWord is available for word processing on the Mac
now. You can look at the download site at apple for other applications to
try/look at.

You can also look into dual booting OS X with perhaps Debian or YellowDog,
and get a whole new appreciation for the boot process.

As for what to look out for - my daughter has taken to carrying hers
litterally everywhere due to a breakin & burglery(sp?) at the apartment at
school. You have a nice machine, and some people would like to make it
theirs 8-/.