[ale] BASH script - wait for CD insert

pras at cycloeastern.com pras at cycloeastern.com
Wed Feb 16 16:29:58 EST 2005

Most distros come with a auto-mount daemon. You can use that to mount the CD.

After that you can use directory notification.
http://www.student.lu.se/~nbi98oli/dnotify.html

Please lookup dnotify.txt in the kernel Documentation directory.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 02:14:09AM +0000, Jay Loden wrote:
> I am scripting a DVD backup solution, and the idea is for the script to email
> the admin when it is ready for the backup, then the admin puts in the DVD and
> the backup is performed.  Does anyone know of a way to eject the CD tray,
> wait for the DVD insert and then when it's inserted, continue on with the
> script (burn the backup)?
>
> I know how to eject the tray, but not how to wait for and detect insertion of
> the DVD.
>
> -Jay

Prasanna Subash            | "I have five dollars for each of you." --
pras at cycloeastern.com      | Bernhard Goetz