[ale] How to turn /dev/midi on?

Jim Patterson unixdude at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:34:35 EST 2005

Drew,

I think that the message you are getting is telling you that the correct driver
is not loaded.  Now the real question is why not?

One guess would be that, maybe MIDI is turned off at the BIOS and/or
your motherboard does not support it.  If you are sure that it is not
either of those, then here are some things you can try.  I do not
use MIDI, so I can't say if they work, but I pulled them from the
docs for your sound chip on the ALSA web site.

> Elias Jahn     elias_jahn at clix.pt
> Saturday, 16 November 2002
>
> How to get the external MIDI-Port of the VIA8233 working:
>
> You'll need the snd-mpu401 driver module,
> if you don't have it already, recompile alsa with it.
> Now edit your modules.conf file and add these lines
> (get the irq and io port from your bios or windoze):
>
> alias snd-card-1 snd-mpu401
> options snd-card-1 port=0x330 irq=7
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
> alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
>
> Now do a "modprobe snd-mpu401". It should load without errors.
> Now check the /proc/asound/oss/sndstat file and you should
> see something like this under Midi-Devices:
> 1: MPU-401 (UART)
>
> That's it! Have fun :)
>
> (for example, read Takashi's HowTo
> 	http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/TiMidity-howto.html
> about TiMidity as an ALSA-Sequencer-Client and then connect a
> MIDI-Keyboard to your MIDI-Port and you'll be able to play on it!)

I'm not sure how the snd-mpu401 above relates to the snd-mpu401-uart
that is already loaded on your system.

> Sebastien Devaux     sebastien.devaux at laposte.net
> Wednesday, 21 May 2003
>
> Elias' tip for enabling midi need corrections to work with my Gygabit
> motherboard (GA-7VKML). My system is based upon LFS-4.0 with 2.4.20
> kernel.
>
> In /etc/modules.conf, replace the line :
> options snd-card-1 port=<ioport> irq=<irq>
> with
> options snd-mpu401 port=<ioport> irq=<irq>
>
> That is on my host :
> options snd-mpu401 port=0x330 irq=11
>
> port and irq can be set directly from my motherboard BIOS.

Hope this helps,
Jim Patterson