[ale] My iBook

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 15:29:12 EST 2005

The only machine I have Windows on is the machine I use for video
games. The machine doesn't to anything else. Me and Windows just don't
work well together.

I am not willing to spend money on a laptop preloaded with Linux
because it is either going to come with an RPM based distribution,
which I dislike almost as much as Windows, or a funky version of
Debian that is geared toward people who are used to using Windows. I
would end up doing the same thing as I did with this laptop -- loading
Debian on it. I would more than likely then be in the exact same
situation and have wasted money.

I have only used OS X a couple of times. Everything I have read about
it though gives me the idea that it can work for anyone; the
non-techie and the techie alike. It will take some learning but I
would like to learn another system just to round out my knowledge.
Read "A Month With Mac" parts one and two at
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/ for more information along these lines.
Those two articles are what made me decide to finally give Apple a
chance.

What would I recommend as a solution? The vendor supporting all three
platforms. I don't care if they use .NET/Mono, wxPython, or their own
custom solution to do it. Whatever it takes for them to do it, the
only solution, in my opinion, is platform agnostic support. I want to
be able to choose my platform. And, ultimately, I would like to be
able to purchase ONE copy of the product and have it work on whatever
platform I choose. Games are starting to do just that and I think they
stand a good chance of driving the rest of the market to do it.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59