[ale] My iBook

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 14:45:10 EST 2005

I most certainly agree that things have gotten a lot better since I
switched from Windows to Debian/Slink. However, things still have a
long way to go to fully catch up to the other two big players. I can
stream stuff fairly well on my home machine using the mplayer plugin,
I loathe Xine, but on this machine, my laptop, it just won't work. The
audio and video drivers are the major culprits. I only have one audio
channel to work with and the drivers for the ATi card just plain suck.
Whereas Real streams will play flawlessly on my home machine they
don't play at all, like it is constantly buffering, on my laptop using
the same network connection.

Your network drawer looks like a rather handy solution. The waproamd
package is too flaky so right now I am just associating with networks
by hand. If I get the motivation I think I will set up something like
what you have going; I just never thought of it before :)

For my office needs I use OpenOffice. It works well for what I need:
taking notes and writing essays. I do, however, look forward to trying
out iWork '05.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/