[ale] My iBook

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Feb 15 13:43:56 EST 2005

James Sumners wrote:
> I use Debian Unstable on this laptop. My biggest issues are that the
> builtin soundcard has absolutely wretched support (from i810_audio.c
> "This driver is cursed."), video streaming support, boot time, and
> overall on-the-go usability. If I am in a hurry and I need to use my
> laptop... well I better not be in a hurry. There just isn't ANY
> distribution out there that works well on every single laptop. Any
> laptop you load Linux on you are going to have to do some hacking to
> get it working decently.

I guess that depends on your definition of decently.  I've had very good
luck with various laptops. (Dell, Toshiba, hp in the past, Sony, hp of
late)  Maybe it was just that, good luck.  Currently I've got RH
workstation 3/SuSE 9.2 on a Sony Vaio.  Everything works, except the
s-video out.  I've got Suse 9.2 and MDK 10.1 on an hp laptop I picked up
a few months ago.  All works well on that box as well.  The external vga
can be setup as a dual head, although I've not tried it.

> As for wireless... I do a lot with wireless. My primary job function
> at CCSU (clatyon.edu) is to work on the wireless network (basically
> roam it and make sure it works or check out reported "outtages"). I
> must say that the wireless support, in general, for Linux is abysmal.
> Yes, I can get more information about the network using Linux wireless
> utilities but I can only use them when the driver supports the
> functions. Hell, for the wireless card builtin to this Dell I had to
> hack in WPA fast keying and monitor mode support.

I think that's because folks working on wireless are primarily focused
on getting the drivers to work.  The proprietary issues around g cards
are pretty substantial.  I feel your pain though.

> Plus, CCSU does buy software for OS X if there is a version of the
> software for it (I have to check and see if we have Maple for OS X and
> I certainly hope we do). I want a machine that I can use in class that
> has native application support; I am tired of having to use VMWare for
> one or two applications that will not run on my platform.

Have you tried wine or crossover?

> I just want a system that doesn't suck like Windows and lets me work
> as efficiently as I like to work. Mac looks to be that system and I
> will find out shortly I suppose :)

Do post your findings.

--
Until later, Geoffrey