[ale] My iBook

Ryan Williams ryan at jimmyether.com
Mon Feb 14 20:14:10 EST 2005

Mark Wright wrote:
> I have a two year old Ti powerbook that I did not buy the extended
> warranty for.  I think that all of them regardless of manufacturer are
> too expensive.  I did use apples warranty though.

I've had 10 macs in my lifetime, and never once extended the warranty. I
think it's just throwing your money away, but then again, maybe I've
just been really lucky. I have had a couple of problems with CD-Rom
drives going bad, but they always got replaced under the standard
warranty (or I replaced them with something better myself).

As for the mini upgrades... buy the cheapest one, and add the airport
and RAM yourself. There are instructions on the internet for opening it
up and it doesn not violate the warranty provided you don't damage it
somehow when opening it. I know three people who had no problem
upgrading themselves. You can get generic mac compatable RAM cheap from
18004MEMORY. Put a Gig in it and it will be quite speedy.

Ryan