[ale] Re: speedfactory dsl router setup

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 16:37:24 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 15:58 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
> > Hmmm, that's like call Microsoft Support and asking if they support Open
> > Standards.  Send me some traceroutes, from multiple points, and I'll
> > believe them.
>
> That's a pathetic comparison.

True, but so is the "I'll accept whatever a vendor tells me" position.
Don't forget that SF is SELLING you something.  Even their Support
people work for a Sales company.  The same is true for BS, Comcast and
every other for-profit business entity.  Consumers are at a loss when
they just accept what they hear.

> You want to know, you figure it out.

I have, and I know.  The issue isn't educating me, it's correcting
mis-guided perceptions.

> I've worked with them on various accounts and when they're wrong they
> admit it.  There's no reason for them to lie out right.  They have
> integrity.

Perhaps the people you spoke with don't really know.  After all the
front line help desk people aren't necessarily the most informed.  DO
they believe that they do it all?  Sure.  Do they? No.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all familiar with the internals of
BellSouth or SpeedFactory, but I'm not going to blindly believe whatever
someone tells me, esp when it doesn't add up.

No traceroute?  Why not?  Does it reveal BS IPs?

-Jim P.