[ale] OT: Electronic Voting: Issues and Actions - A Public Forum (EFGA / DoD)

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Feb 12 12:04:22 EST 2005

This forum is an update on the problems of Electronic Voting in Georgia.

The focus is on 2005 Paper Ballot legislation currently being introduced in
the Georgia General Assembly, and on public education on participating in
related lobbying and voter activism efforts. Of particular relevance to ALE
is that the Vote Count Protection Act  language includes requirements for the
use of Open Source Software on all electronic voting systems.

The legislation has been endorsed by EFGA, Electronic Frontiers Foundation and
Verified Voting, as well as many diverse political organizations, including
Georgia's Libertarian, Green and Constitution parties
( See 2005 Legislation sidebar link at
<http://www.DefendersOfDemocracy.com> )

The forum is being held next Tuesday in the same Emory Law School Classroom
that is generously provided for the regular ALE Central meetings, so
directions can be found at:  <http://www.ale.org/Central/directions.shtml>

*****         Electronic Frontiers Georgia         *****
                                      and
                    Defenders Of Democracy
                                    present

                     ELECTRONIC VOTING:
                     ISSUES AND ACTIONS
                            A Public Forum

Georgia's paperless electronic voting systems have removed our
election  processes from the hands of the public. The control over
the counting of  our votes has been outsourced, abdicated to private
corporations who tabulate invisible electronic chads inside proprietary
black boxes. Without the evidence of paper ballots, we can never be
sure that  our votes have been counted or determine if computer fraud
has stolen our vote.

If you find this privatization of our public elections a serious threat to
democracy, the Defenders of Democracy and Electronic Frontiers Georgia
invite you to join their efforts to bring democracy back where it belongs,
into the hands of the people.  You'll learn more about the Issues of
electronic voting and what you can do to once again
MAKE YOUR VOTE COUNT.

Tuesday, February 15, 7:30 pm
Gambrell Hall / Emory Law School building, Classroom 1-C,
1301 Clifton Road, Atlanta, Georgia,  30322

The School is located on Clifton Road at its intersection with
North Decatur Road. There is a parking deck directly behind
the building (East side), but the entrance is on the far corner.

For directions, additional information,  or to obtain a
printable PDF version of this invitation for distribution, visit

http://www.DefendersOfDemocracy.com

or call 770-435-5439