[ale] database conversion

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Feb 10 14:10:03 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 13:16 -0500, David Muse wrote:

> It seems like there are even more issues too, especially with
> non-transactional databases, but I don't remember them offhand.  It's
> fun stuff.  99% of it is pretty easy, but the remaining 1% is really
> hard.  Every time I'd get geared up to work on it, I'd chicken out and
> work on somethig else :)
>
> Dave
> david.muse at firstworks.com

Talk about a confidence booster :)

Thanks for input. It looks like you have really covered a lot of ground
on this topic. ALE talk ??

>From rom the stuff you outlined, it doesn't look like a "generic" syncing

tool is really feasable. It would really need to be tailored for the
dbms in use. (oh well. so much for the automatic convert-ms-sql-to-
postgresql-on-the-sly project...).

I've just started tinkering with dblink. cool. way cool. triggers to
call dblink with WAL over VPN.

Hmm. So the entire sync-up process would also need to be a transaction
with checkpoints with a loging of errors for further processing.

This is bordering on totally sick and twisted. I need a few more db
machines for tinkering with...
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>