[ale] OT: Development practices

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Feb 9 10:22:32 EST 2005

Guys,

I run a development shop in Greensboro, NC.  For years before I came, the
shop was run in a very chaotic way...no policies or
procedures...just code and fix.

I've been slowly adding processes to the mix and restructuring things, but
now Sarbanes Oxley compliance is forcing me to pick up speed.

We've been researching different agile methodologies, Scrum in particular,
but these methodologies leave a large gap when it comes to actual
development processes (change control, documentation, etc). I'd like to
find a book that outlines best practices in software development to use as
a reference and potentially a template for our approach.  I'm really after
more of the practical, routine things, like code reviews with sign-offs,
user acceptance sign-offs, etc.

In other words, from soup to nuts, what are the steps that a mature
project should go through?  What documents should be involved?  What
sign-offs should be obtained?  What "i"'s should you dot and "t"s should
you cross?

Any pointers or reference suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

John