[ale] hack attempts

James Baldwin jbaldwin at antinode.net
Tue Feb 8 17:12:28 EST 2005

On 8 Feb 2005, at 16:40, Bob Toxen wrote:

> This is "Security by Obsecurity" and it is not a good solution.  See
> my last
> email and also use a REAL good password.

That is a misleading statement, and in this particular instance an
incorrect one. I will not dispute the statement that "good" password
will decrease the likelihood of a compromised account, however stating
that altering the port which sshd binds too will not decrease that
likelihood is just wrong.

Take into account this:

Altering the port on which sshd listens adds another authentication
vector, even if a weak one. This could be construed as adding another
2^16 possible combinations to your password. This number is wildly
inaccurate as people are likely to use easy to remember ports and any
transit provider is presented the port, this latter should be discarded
as any transit provider can MitM your SSH connection anyway.

Security through Obscurity is a statement regarding general
architecture policy NOT actual implementation. Obscurity works in
practice. Randomizing the port number your service runs on makes it
that much more difficult for an intruder to locate said service without
detection in the same way that IPv6 will make it more difficult to
portscan large ranges quickly looking for compromisable hosts. In both
cases it does not make it impossible only decreases the effectiveness
of the attack.

As policy one shouldn't rely on Obscurity for Security, but in reality
it is an effective means of mitigating your vulnerability to
exploitation. If you work long in the security consulting world you
will realize that success is not about eliminating the possibility of
exploitation, but about reducing the likelihood of its occurrence and
the risk involved when it does. In such cases, Obscurity is a very,
very valid and effective weapon against Bad Guys (tm).

Further reading:
http://www.bastille-linux.org/jay/obscurity-revisited.html