[ale] SuSE woes... GRUB/No Root Partition/Can't mount RAID array

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Feb 7 21:35:20 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 17:31 -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I might be misremembering the original post, but I think your livecd
> needs to be able to bring up the RAID volume.  I have done this manually
> under a Gentoo livecd.
>
> Is that the problem - that the RAID volume is not visible to you from a
> liveCD?

I don't think that (m)any of the live CD's support auto-mounting of a
RAID system other than a hardware raid setup. You will likely need to
create the /etc/raidtab file in order to have chance of mounting the md0
array to extract the files.

Here's one of mine for reference:

raiddev             /dev/md1
raid-level                  5
nr-raid-disks               3
chunk-size                  64k
persistent-superblock       1
nr-spare-disks              0
    device          /dev/sda5
    raid-disk     0
    device          /dev/sdb2
    raid-disk     1
    device          /dev/sdc2
    raid-disk     2
raiddev             /dev/md0
raid-level                  0
nr-raid-disks               3
chunk-size                  64k
persistent-superblock       1
nr-spare-disks              0
    device          /dev/sda2
    raid-disk     0
    device          /dev/sdb1
    raid-disk     1
    device          /dev/sdc1
    raid-disk     2

md0 is the swap array (I like fast swaps!)
md1 is the main data storage array

md1 also is the physical volume for LVM so I can add more drive space as
needed .

BTW: RAID 5 with fast drives makes a really fast system :) SCSI 320 is
very nice.