[ale] Field trip report: Fry's - CB version

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Mon Feb 7 01:00:29 EST 2005

Hey guys - I actually made my first trip to Fry's today.  Following on
this thread's theme - I figured I'd post my observations, etc.

It was pretty hefty trek from Canton, but well worth the time.  My first
impression of the place "wow, this place is big".  As I found the
electronics stuff (my favorite section) I had a childlike giddyness.
It's a great store.

I was kind of bummed that they didn't carry a very commonly used IC (a
max232) and that all the low level electronic components they carry are
cross-referenced NTE parts (that you have to look up in a catalog); but
aside from that I had a great time.

I spent over 2 hours looking around the place.  I found many bargains
($1.00 for a pack of X-Acto blades), but I also found a few price
discrepancies.  I bought 2 iPod Dock/Firewire/USB cables.  The
discrepancy was that some of them were labeled $9.90 and some were
$19.95.  Obviously, I bought 2 of the $9.90 ones because I figured I was
getting a deal.

Overall, it was a fun time, and it lived up to the hype.  I just wish
traffic wasn't so bad in that area.

My recommendation for first time visitors:
a) Get a shopping cart at the door - it will save you from having to
find one when your arms are full.
b) If you're coming up 85, stay in the outside (rightmost) lane and take
your first right (or any of the mall entrances).  I was so concerned
with the traffic that I missed the first right turn (that Mapquest)
recommended.  It comes up quickly.  As I made a U-Turn and realized that
I couldn't turn left on the street I was trying to get to, I was forced
to sit in I-85-meets-exit-ramp-traffic again, and had to make another
U-Turn.  It wasn't until I got to Fry's that I realized that I could've
just taken any of mall entrances and followed them around Ring Street
over to Frys.

Long story short, Ring Street circles the Mall, so if you miss the
street that Mapquest, etc. recommend, just pull into the mall entrance
and you'' get there.

Cheers,
-CB