[ale] Looking for duplicate photos

Jim Patterson unixdude at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 11:56:30 EST 2005

Trey,

The following script is primitive, but I think it should work fine for you.
If you name if del_dup.sh, then run it with:
./del_dup.sh /photos /photos/* /photos/*/*

It does not recurse automagicaly, but you can extend it with too much
work.  Just take the top level directory and use find to locate all the
sub-directories.  Then pass that list to ls.  NOTE: you can not use
ls -R since that breaks each directory into seperate sections.

Jim P.

#! /bin/sh

oldsize="-"
oldfile="-"

for f in `ls --sort=size $*`
do
    dl=`ls -l "$f" | tr -s " "`
    size=`echo $dl | cut -f 5 -d " "`
    file=`echo $dl | cut -f 9 -d " "`

    if [ "$oldsize" = "$size" ]
    then
        if diff -q "$oldfile" "$file" >/dev/null
        then
            echo Deleting $file dup of $oldfile
            rm "$file"
        fi