[ale] Nvidia vs ATI on low cost laptops

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 6 03:28:56 EST 2005

Q2: Which ATI graphics cards can use this driver?
A2:

The ATI Proprietary Linux driver currently supports RADEON 8500 and
later AGP or PCI Express graphics products, as well as FireGL 8700 and
later products. We do not currently plan to include support for any
products earlier than this. Drivers for earlier products should already
be available from the DRI Project or Utah-GLX project.

Geoffrey, this was from the ATI proprietary driver FAQ so your out of
luck on using it.  Try
http://dri.sf.net/
or
http://utah-glx.sf.net/
for stuff that should work on your machine.  They may have some config
suggestions too.

I may try out a laptop with ATI graphics if I can get Knoppix or a CD
based distro for testing that will configure the 3D capabilities on the
fly.  I could test the software I need to use and see if it runs under
the proprietary ATI driver.
Dow