[ale] Nvidia vs ATI on low cost laptops

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Feb 5 22:46:54 EST 2005

Dow Hurst wrote:
> You don't have hardware acceleration setup right, I'd bet.  Do you have
> the dri or glx module loaded?  I believe that the ATI drivers use the
> dri module don't they?  Since I've never used the ATI hardware I am not
> familiar with it's configuration.  I do know that nvidia accesses the
> glx module and that you are not to enable the dri module when using the
> nvidia driver.

I've got both dri and glx modules loading on both laptops.  The wierd
thing is, on the Sony I see:

(II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

But I don't understand why.  I see where the module is loaded:

(II) LoadModule: "dri" (II) Loading
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
(II) Module dri: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
     ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.2

--
Until later, Geoffrey