[ale] Nvidia vs ATI on low cost laptops

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Feb 5 19:27:03 EST 2005

Dow Hurst wrote:
> I'm interested in getting a reasonably priced laptop but I need good
> OpenGL performance to make it useful to me.  I know that ATI now has
> some drivers available for 3D under Linux but I trust the Nvidia drivers
> alot more.  I've never used the ATI drivers but most laptops, especially
> the low cost ones are ATI driven or Intel integrated graphics driven.
> Only the high end stuff seems to include Nvidia chips.  Does anyone have
> experience with the new ATI drivers?  Are they stable usable and with
> good performance?

Hey Dow!  I've got two laptops, my Sony, which I believe you've seen,
that has an ATI 7500, uses Xorg and supports 3D, absolutely rock solid.
  I just picked up an hp pavilion ($500 after rebate at Circuit City,
before Christmas sale).  It has Intel Extreme Graphics 2 and it works
quite well and supports 3D.

I"ve tried the ATI drivers, but they didn't perform any better for me
than Xorg, so I went back to the Xorg drivers.

--
Until later, Geoffrey