[ale] Nvidia vs ATI on low cost laptops

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 5 13:49:49 EST 2005

I'm interested in getting a reasonably priced laptop but I need good
OpenGL performance to make it useful to me.  I know that ATI now has
some drivers available for 3D under Linux but I trust the Nvidia drivers
alot more.  I've never used the ATI drivers but most laptops, especially
the low cost ones are ATI driven or Intel integrated graphics driven.
Only the high end stuff seems to include Nvidia chips.  Does anyone have
experience with the new ATI drivers?  Are they stable usable and with
good performance?  Lastly, anyone have any leads on a Nvidia based
laptop under $1000?

My laptop wish list is:

Under $1000
Decent Nvidia based graphics