[ale] ifup problems, possible IPv6

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Feb 5 01:00:05 EST 2005

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> 	In this particular case, I'm alluding to some of the pain of dealing
> with some of the distro specific patches and changes and conflicts with
> the generic kernels.  Once you've crossed that hurdle on a given
> install, the generic kernels are no more problem than the distro
> specific kernels.  It's just that there can be gotcha's the first time
> (and, maybe, after upgrades).
>
> 	For instance, you have the LABEL=3D mount point stuff in RedHat.  Not
> sure if that's worked it's way into the mainline kernel or not.  Sounds
> like a good idea, at first glance, till you've been burned by it.  Build
> a kernel.org kernel (at least a 2.4 kernel, for sure) and then discover
> that NONE of your mountpoints would mount any longer because the kernel
> doesn't understand the "LABEL=3D" scheme.  So the concerns are not so much
> building the kernel, which is simply an involved undertaking, but the
> random acts of terrorism that you run into when that kernel conflicts
> with the distro.  Some distro's, like Debian, are very generic on the
> kernel.  Some, like RedHat, are a royal pain in the rear.

good point, bad example :-)

mount by label is done by the initrd / initramfs, not by the kernel. It
doesn't require kernel patches.

FWIW, Fedora Core 3 works with kernel.org / -ac kernels. If you're doing
SELinux you'll want the very latest, but otherwise you don't even have to be
bleeding-edge.

later,
chris