[ale] Is there an open source product similar to Exchange?

Jonathan Rickman jrickman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 16:41:07 EST 2005

> I am in search of an app that runs on a Linux backend but allows Windows
> users to access it.  Basically, it needs to offer features similar to
> Exchange on the server side and be accessible by something like Outlook (or
> whatever mail client) on the user end.

SuSE OpenExchange and it's free counterpart Open X-Change is the
closest thing to a replacement for MS Exchange out there. Key word
being "closest" because it is still not adequate in most all-Windows
environments like the one you describe. It all depends on how much you
are willing to compromise on the client side. In short, you might save
yourself a lot of money, but it will probably prove to be a wash in
the end because of the increased hassles if you intend to use local
clients. On the other hand, if you are willing to stick to the web
interface exclusvely, the two products I mentioned are just plain
awesome.

--
Jonathan