[ale] Re; simple question

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue Feb 1 13:46:55 EST 2005

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 10:52 am, Geoffrey wrote:
| Has nothing to do with your entry in fstab, unfortunately.  You're going
| to have to look at either hotplug or udev, depending on your kernel.
| Personally, I've found nothing but frustration when trying to get this
| to work on older kernels.  On SuSE 9.2 it just works.  Sweet.

Okay,
I read the man pages for both hotplug and udev. My eyes glazed over
each time. <grin/sigh> I have absolutely no clue what it is I must
actually _do_ to activate either of these programs and have them
automagically deal with the problem of assigning a unique /dev to
each removable device.  That is the USB hard drive will _always_ be
sda1 or sd(whatever)1 every time it is plugged in.

I am running FC3 with a 2.6(whatever) kernel.

Sean