[ale] Firefox on Linux: opening PDFs and other downloads

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Feb 1 13:10:31 EST 2005

Guys,

I've been using firefox on linux for years now, but have recently been
experiencing an odd problem.  If I click on a link to download a pdf or
other file, the OK button is grayed out, and it never becomes enabled.
This is the case regardless of whether I choose "Open with..." or "Save
as".  The only way I can successfully download the file is by
right-clicking the link and choosing "Save link target as".

Anyone know what's up with this?  I believe firefox grays out the box
while downloading in the background (this seems to be the behavior on
Windows)...apparently it thinks the download didn't complete?

Any insight you can provide is appreciated.  This is on a number of
different distros (Fedora, Ubuntu, and UserLinux).

John