[ale] simple question

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue Feb 1 11:21:20 EST 2005

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 10:57 am, Christopher R. Curzio wrote:
| I think it would be far easier to just cat /proc/partitions or look for
| the entry in dmesg.

Actually the problem turns out to be a simple typing error.
I should have typed:
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/backup

but what I typed was "/dev/sda"

So now I have a different question:  What happened to
6.2 gigs of hard drive space?  When I do an <ls -al> on the
drive the only thing that shows up is a 16k "lost+found" directory.

running the <df> command I get this:

/dev/sda1            153834852     94284 153740568   1% /mnt/backup

I carefully ran the format command to NOT withhold any space for
root.  Reading /var/log/messages it looks like the formatting
command did find a few bad blocks. Does one percent bad blocks
for a brand new, just out of the box, hard drive sound unusual?

At this point I'm not complaining as 153 GB is certainly adequate for
storing my photo collection. Even at 30 mgb a scan, I'm not going to
run out of space any time soon.

Sean