[ale] simple question

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue Feb 1 10:51:32 EST 2005

Trying to make backups easier.
Got a 160 GB hard drive and stuffed it into a USB external
box. Plugged it in and ran fdisk and partioned the drive with
one Primary partition; then formatted it with
the -c switch to check for bad blocks.  Hoo, boy, was that
a time consuming mistake on a USB (2) connection! Had to
let the thing run all night.
Now all I need to do is check to make sure how big is the
single partition on the drive.
but when I try to mount the drive I get this:

[root at localhost backup]# mount -t ext3 /dev/sda /mnt/backup
  mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda,
  or too many mounted file systems.

The command I used to format the drive was this:
    mke2fs -cjm0 /dev/sda1
which _should_ have formatted the drive with ext3 as the fs. At
least that's how I comprehended the man page.

So what do I have to do to mount this drive?

And then I think I am back to a question that was asked earlier
this week.  How do I make the OS consistently identify this drive
as sdc1 rather than sd?1, which it is doing now, depending on
how many other USB "storage devices" have been plugged in before
it?
I have this line ready to activate in /etc/fstab:

    #/dev/sdc1  /mnt/backup  ext3 noauto,owner,ro 0 0

And if that isn't correct I would really appreciate a correction
_before_ I screw something up any further.

TIA

Sean