[ale] OT: Mac OS X x86 vmware image floating on bittorrent

Klepinger, Aaron Aaron.Klepinger at CompuCredit.com
Thu Dec 29 16:08:35 EST 2005

Just buy the new Intel Mac Mini rumored to be announced in a few weeks.
:)

-----Original Message-----
From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of
To: ale at ale.org
James P. Kinney III
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 3:41 PM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] OT: Mac OS X x86 vmware image floating on bittorrent

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 15:08 -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I downloaded a MAX OS X x86 vmware image from bittorrent.  Maybe
> someone here has it.  When I boot it up I get "Illegal Instruction"
> from the programs that are being executed at startup.  Could the
> problem be that I'm on an AMD Athalon XP chip instead of Intel?  I was

> assuming that for vmware it does not matter but if vmware does not
> really emulate and simply uses the host's processor then maybe I can't

> play with this image?

I run VMWare on a dual Opteron. The earlier versions (prior to 5.0) just
wouldn't run on 64 bit. The new 5.5 runs like a champ. VMWare really
does emulate the CPU system it is purporting to run on.

I suspect the image may not be perfect.

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> Fingerprint = 3C9E 6366 54FC A3FE BA4D
0659 6190 ADC3 829C 6CA7