[ale] Speedfactory now requires mail contents to be readable

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Dec 28 15:07:36 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 14:18 -0500, runman wrote:
> I thought that BS owned the "last mile" or so of line into
> my house and all who dare to pass packets owe them bigtime -
> how does Speakeasy work this ?  or are you just in some
> lucky position ?

BS may own the last mile, but they are required to provide access to
competitors like Covad. Covad did the installation for the OneLink DSL
from Speakeasy.

I am close to the switch so I get great speed (6M down, 768k up on both
lines)(yes, I have dual DSL lines :}

Upside:	Don't have to use BS directly for anything. Can use VOIP/cell
phone for what I want. Great service from Speakeasy.

Downside: BS _still_ has access to the DSLAM and screws things up. A
client lost connectivity due to a BS field tech disconnecting his DSL
line because a) it wasn't marked as 'in use' in any notes (printed,
on-line or even wire tags) b) the tech was looking for unused lines to
install service elsewhere so just started disconnecting things.