[ale] Speedfactory now requires mail contents to be readable

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 13:37:46 EST 2005

Let's start with Greg, seeing that I'm in a particularly grumpy mood
today...

If you'd been around here any particular amount of time whatsoever,
you'd know that I am a Mac user, and prefer Mac even over Linux on
the Desktop.  Therefore your misdirection of the topic to OS zealotry
is misguided and a red herring.

The  facts are that the reasons for both SPAM and attachment scanning
are because the majority of users will be sporting the Windows
operating system, and the minority will have UNIX based OSes such as
ours.  Since the majority of the install-base uses the Windows
Operating system, by necessity we must say that the majority of
systems have the "out  of the box" ability to be compromised via
email means.  Next, we must say that even though we would be
considered among the "enlightened" users, news like today's DIGG
regarding a 0-day that blows right  past a fully-patched Windows
system will continue to arise.  If the majority of users are
"unenlightened" users running a generally insecure operating system,
probability states that the majority of email-borne viruses and
trojans will be propagated by windows systems. (note I didn't say
"carried".  That would be uninformed and  misguided.  I get trojans
and  viruses in my inbox every day, they just don't affect me at
all.)  ;)

If you'd like to "discuss" a topic, then let's.  If you'd like to
wildly throw accusations around about someone you've never met or
don't know, please do take your conversation elsewhere.

Jerald M. Sheets jr.
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
The Weather Channel Interactive
404.293.8762