[ale] Speedfactory now requires mail contents to be readable

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Wed Dec 28 13:08:16 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 12:34 -0500, runman wrote:
> Besides - the topic here is
> that an ISP who is following your principles of
> "non-security" has in fact done the opposite - I am barred
> from using security to protect my email from prying eyes.
> Besides IF I HAD USED A NON-MS OS IT STILL WOULD HAVE
> FAILED. The OS / mail client is not relevant here. C'mon -
> focus people !

Things change.  They was a time when SF could have taken the approach to
not scan or care what is sent via its mail servers but my guess is that
this is not about control.  I bet they are getting much pressure from
outside individuals about spam, viri, etc that is coming from its mail
servers and those nasty email originate behind its network.

When someone tries to break into your server you expect their ISP to
act.  The same as when someone's viral infected machine infects your you
expect their ISP to react.  That is probably the motivation behind them
scanning stuff.  They no longer have faith in their user base to do it
so they must do it for them.  This is basically a CYA action.

Unfortunately this may signal what more they may do.  In the past I
chose SF because I could get static IP, no PPPOE, and no filtering.
Upgrading to high speed has forced me into PPPOE which can die with very
big transfers over extended periods of time.  Bittorrent can kill my
PPPOE connection.  I still have a static IP and I still have no
filtering.  If those issues change then the extra I pay for SF service
may not merit what I get from them.

On being an OS bigot.  I love Linux and I do not like Windows.  There
are too many problems associated with MS products and I do not want to
have to deal with.  This being a Linux group I believe that all users
should interface via Linux.  I get virus sent to me all the time from
people on this list and my only idea as to why is because of the few on
this list that run Outlook and have their boxes infected.  The
infections read the INBOX and grab all email addresses then try to spam
their self to all those they have collected.  Unfortunately many people
on this list have a job that requires Windows on the desktop.  Thank
fully I'm not one of those people.  And if you are not on a job that
requires windows on the desktop then why run it at home?  If you don't
use it you'll lose it.  Run Linux on the desktop.  Years ago I needed to
learn SCO so I removed Win 3.11 from my desktop and install SCO OSR5.
After that moment SCO started to make more sense.    There was a time
when Linux was for Enthusiasts but it has grown up and has moved into
the professional world.