[ale] OT vhs to dvd

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Dec 26 14:38:51 EST 2005

Calvin Harrigan wrote:
> I would recommend one of the PVR-X50 from Hauppauge.  They have pretty
> good support in Linux.  Some of the included windows software does
> exactly what you are planning, just in case you have a windows
> partition.  They cost a little more than a standard frame grabber
> because it has a hardware based encoder, but the hw encoder produces, in
> my opinion a higher quality picture.   I've used a pvr-250 in my mythtv
> box for the last three years, I've been quite happy with it.
>
> http://hauppauge.com/pages/prods_pvrs.html
> http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=hauppauge&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
>
> The 150 will be right up you alley.

My father wants to do the same thing with some old and irreplaceable VHS
tapes.  I picked him up a PVR 150.  I have used one of these in a MythTV
box already, and I have done some very manual video capture with one as
well.

I don't think MythTV is aimed at this sort of video capture, and I don't
think my father would enjoy the command line :p.

I have yet to find a good way for him to capture video and burn DVDs.
In the past I used Kino to grab video from a DV camera and build a DVD.

That was very straight forward and would be perfect for my father.
Unfortunately, Kino will only capture video over firewire and it doesn't
seem to be able to load mpegs (I could hack together a quick tk gui to
capture video if I really needed to).

I have yet to find anything that would be good for his level of
expertise.  I looked at Cinelerra, which looks really nice.  It also
looks much more complex than he needs, and I don't think it will
actually let him master a DVD.

Any suggestions on software I might have missed?  I don't think it would
be terrible if I have to hack up a script to capture the video for
him...  But I think he needs something that will let him edit the video
to some degree (cut the crap off the beginning/end, and mark the
beginning of chapters maybe).

Pat