[ale] SuSE 10 & Intel 536ep modem

Eric Webb ttlchaos at randomc.com
Thu Dec 22 16:27:52 EST 2005

Hi all,

I'm a pretty avid Slackware guy, but a friend recently dumped a SuSE 10.0 box
on me to fix his problems with a modem.  It's an Intel 536ep chipset, which
*should* be supportable.

There's an RPM on the SuSE 10 disk for this, I think it's
Intel-536ep-4.69-14.i586.rpm.  It's loaded and I see a few support files, but
no device nodes created (should be /dev/536ep).

YaST's hardware info detects the card and tells me it should be on major 240,
minor 1, char.  If I mknod this and try to send chars out to it, it complains
invalid address.  I'm fairly new to win/linmodems, so let me know if this
kind of test doesn't work.

Can someone explain to me the difference between what I'm familiar with seeing
as kernel modules (.o suffix) and those with a .ko suffix?  The above package
deposits modules under /lib/modules/2.6.13-override-smp... why the use of
"override"?
If I move the .ko to my kernel version's directory (2.6.13-15-smp), depmod,
and modprobe, it complains "Invalid module format".  Could this be a
compilation target problem (compiled for Intel, this machine is Athlon 64)?

Eric